The new 2017-18 7DAYS EuroCup season will get underway on July 6, when Euroleague Basketball hosts the draw for the EuroCup Regular Season at the Mediapro Auditorium in Barcelona, Spain (Avinguda Diagonal, 177, (08018), Barcelona). The draw will be streamed live at the official Euroleague Basketball channel on YouTube and on the official Eurocup Facebook page.
The draw is scheduled to begin at 13:30 local time (CEST), following a EuroCup General Assembly to be held earlier on Thursday. The 2017-18 7DAYS EuroCup Draw will determine the four groups of six teams each that will participate in the competition's regular season starting in October. The best four teams from each Regular seasongroup will advance to the Top 16, which will consist of four groups of four teams who will play six round-robin games beginning in early January 2018. From there, the quarterfinals, semifinals and finals – each consisting of best-of-three playoff series – will decide the 2018 7DAYS EuroCup Champion, who in turn will qualify for the 2018-19 Turkish Airlines EuroLeague.
The draw follows the Euroleague Basketball Institute's Annual Workshops, a series of events that brings together players, coaches, staff and executives from Euroleague Basketball clubs to identify the best practices and new initiatives in every aspect of the sport in order to enhance the EuroLeague an EuroCup experience for fans now and in the future.
You can find the 7DAYS EuroCup Draw Criteria and Procedure below:
The draw will be held according to seeds.
• The 24 qualified teams will be divided into six seeds with four teams in each, in accordance with the Club Ranking elaborated for this purpose.
• The performance of teams in European competitions over a three-year period will be used to determine the seeds. Each club will get 2 points for a win and 1 point for a tie or loss from the Regular Season onwards. 2 bonus points are allocated for reaching the round of 16, 2 bonus points are allocated for reaching the quarterfinals, 1 bonus point is allocated for reaching the semifinals and 1 bonus point is allocated for reaching the finals. The Club Ranking consists of the sum of the club coefficients from the previous three years. The results of the worst-performing team from each country/league will be added together every year to create a position for that country/league in the Club Ranking. This is the lowest possible position that any club from that country/league can occupy in the draw.
• If two or more teams have the same Club Ranking, the tie will be resolved by the total number of wins during the three-year period. Should a tie persist, the final standings in the Euroleague and if necessary Eurocup from the previous season will be used to break the tie. Should a tie still persist, the final standings in the domestic championship from the previous season (after the playoffs) will be used to break the tie. Should a tie still persist, a draw will be used to break the tie, with Euroleague Basketball determining the method for the draw.
• The first four teams from the Club Ranking participating in the Regular Season will be No. 1 Seeds, the next four No. 2 Seeds, the next four No. 3 Seeds, the next four No. 4 Seeds, the next four No. 5 Seeds, and the remaining four teams will be No. 6 Seeds.
GROUP DRAW RESTRICTION
The restriction when drawing the teams into groups is the following:
• Two teams from the same country cannot coincide in the same Eurocup Regular Season group, except when there are five teams from the same country participating in the Regular Season. For these purposes, teams qualifying via the Adriatic League will be considered as teams coming from the same country.
GROUP DRAW PROCEDURE
• Teams will be drawn one by one from an urn containing only teams in the same Seed, from the No. 1 Seeds through to the No. 6 Seeds, until all 24 teams have been selected.
• For each spot drawn, the urn will be emptied and refilled with only those teams from the level drawn, taking into consideration any restrictions.
• In the Regular Season, teams from the same country may not coincide in the same group. Therefore, when drawing teams from the No. 2 Seeds through to the No. 6 Seeds, only those teams from a country different than the ones already drawn into the Group will be placed in the urn. In the case of five teams from the same country participating in the Regular Season draw, the Group Draw Restrictions will be applied until it is physically impossible.
• e.g.1. If a spot is to be drawn into a Group where there is already a team from a specific country, the teams from the country in question will not be placed in the urn.
• e.g.2. If a spot is to be drawn into a Group and a certain team(s) cannot be drawn in a later Group, this team(s) will be the only one(s) placed in the urn.
• A team may be placed directly into a Group in order to follow the restriction mentioned above.
Drawing the teams as explained above will eliminate all possibilities of a blocked situation.
2017-18 DRAW SEEDS
LOKOMOTIV KUBAN KRASNODAR
HERBALIFE GRAN CANARIA LAS PALMAS
GALATASARAY ODEABANK ISTANBUL
FC BAYERN MUNICH
ZENIT ST PETERSBURG
DARUSSAFAKA DOGUS ISTANBUL
HAPOEL BANK YAHAV JERUSALEM
LIETUVOS RYTAS VILNIUS
DOLOMITI ENERGIA TRENTO
GRISSIN BON REGGIO EMILIA
RETABET BILBAO BASKET
MORABANC ANDORRA LA VELLA
BUDUCNOST VOLI PODGORICA
PARTIZAN NIS BELGRADE
ASVEL BASKET VILLEURBANNE